Ravatherm XPS is commonly used within building and construction as an insulating material. Alongside being used in this industry, it’s also commonly used for everyday applications such as loft, floor insulation and Craftfoam.
Ravatherm is an extruded polystyrene material that provides excellent thermal properties and is extremely strong and durable. This makes it suitable for a wide range of applications and provides solutions for both DIY projects, building projects and for modelling.
In this guide:
- What is Ravatherm XPS and how is it used? – Learn more about what Ravatherm XPS is and its key benefits.
- What is Styroloft and what are the benefits? – Find out more about what Styroloft is and its benefits.
- What is Styrofloor and how is it used? – Learn more about Styrofloor, its benefits and applications.
- A Guide to Ravatherm XPS under slab insulation – Find out more about how Ravatherm can be used for under slab insulation.
- How is Ravatherm XPS used for underfloor heating? – Learn more about how Ravatherm XPS is used in conjunction with underfloor heating systems and how it can be supplied by Panel Systems.
- Craftfoam: key uses and benefits – Find out more about what Craftfoam is and what makes it suitable for your project or application.
What is Ravatherm XPS and how is it used?
Ravatherm XPS is a high-performance extruded polystyrene insulation that is used for a wide range of projects, in both commercial and residential applications.
The benefits of Ravatherm XPS include:
- Thermal conductivity performance and U-values
- Water/moisture resistant
- Excellent compressive strength
These benefits mean that Ravatherm XPS can be used for a variety of insulating purposes.
At Panel Systems, we supply Ravatherm XPS in the following forms:
- Ravatherm XPS blocks for general fabrication
- Ravatherm XPS flooring grade
- Ravatherm XPS roofing grade
- Ravatherm XPS RTM grade for refrigerated trailers
To learn more about how Panel Systems supply Ravatherm XPS and how it’s used, read our guide by clicking here.
What is Styroloft and what are the benefits?
Styroloft is an insulated loft floor board that is used to create a base for loft storage spaces or to make the space more energy efficient. The material works as a lightweight alternative to chipboard.
Styroloft is created from 4mm birch plywood which is bonded to either side of Ravatherm XPS insulation board. Ravatherm XPS has an extremely high level of thermal efficiency and compressive strength which makes it the perfect material for helping to keep heat in the home and for storage / light foot traffic in a loft space.
Stryoloft is the perfect solution to provide a loft storage and improved insulation in one panel. The boards are suitable for light foot traffic and therefore should not be used for full loft conversions.
The main properties of Styroloft include:
- Robust – Ravatherm XPS provides a solid core for Styroloft, making it a robust solution for loft spaces and insulation.
- Insulating – due to the excellent thermal qualities of Ravatherm XPS, Styroloft can provide additional insulation within your loft whilst taking up the minimal space, helping you to maximise space in your loft.
- Long-lasting – the properties of Ravatherm XPS mean that Stryoloft is extremely long-lasting and will not need to be regularly replaced, making it cost-efficient too.
The benefits of Styroloft include:
- Easy to cut and fit
- Lightweight and compact
- Save on energy costs
To find out more about Styroloft and its benefits, you can read our guide.
What is Styrofloor and how is it used?
Styrofloor is an insulated floor panel that can be used for a wide range of applications. Styrofloor is created using 18mm thick p5 moisture resistant chipboard which is bonded to Ravatherm XPS to create an insulated flooring panel.
Styrofloor can be used within:
- Residential flooring projects
- Commercial flooring projects
Styrofloor offers a highly effective insulating material which makes it perfect for improving the energy efficiency of your home.
Styrofloor has a number of properties that make it perfect for use as floor insulation including:
- Robust and high-quality – Ravatherm XPS is used at the insulation backing of Styrofloor which creates a material with high compressive strength which can cope with high traffic without degrading.
- Insulating – the thickness of the panel of Stryofloor make it a highly energy efficient solution.
- Acts as damp proofing – Ravatherm XPS is moisture resistant so damp will not be able to seep up through the insulation into your home.
- Moisture resistant – the moisture resistance of Styrofloor helps to prevent it from becoming easily damaged by damp or water.
The material offers wide range of benefits when used as floor insulation including:
- Cost effective
- Quick to install
- High compressive strength
- Water resistant
- Environmentally friendly
To learn more about the uses, benefits and properties of Styrofloor, please read our guide.
A Guide to Ravatherm XPS under slab insulation
Ravatherm XPS also offers a good choice for under slab insulation in domestic, industrial and commercial settings due to its range of properties.
Key applications of Ravatherm XPS as under slab insulation include:
- Warehouse and industrial environments
- Domestic applications
Panel Systems offers Ravatherm XPS in four compressive strength grades to meet the loading requirements of your project:
- Ravatherm XPS 200 SB: 60 kN/m2
- Ravatherm XPS X 300 SB and Ravatherm XPS X 300 SL: 130 kN/m2
- Ravatherm XPS X 500 SB: 180 kN/m2
- Ravatherm XPS X 700 SB: 250 kN/m2
All of the benefits of Ravatherm XPS including thermal efficiency, durability and compressive strength make it perfect for the above applications.
To find out more about how Ravatherm XPS is used as under slab insulation, read our guide.
How is Ravatherm XPS used for underfloor heating?
Ravatherm XPS can be used in conjunction with water-based and electric matting underfloor heating systems to help improve the efficiency and performance of the system and help to prevent heat loss through the floor.
The properties that make the material suitable for underfloor heating include:
- Moisture resistance
- High compressive strength
- Excellent thermal properties
- Environmentally friendly
At Panel Systems, we’re able to provide a full CAD design and CNC machining service to provides grooved insulation boards which are used to house the water pipes for wet systems. We’re able to cater to a wide range of standard and bespoke sizes for specific contracts.
To learn more about the use of Ravatherm XPS in underfloor heating, please read our guide here.
Craftfoam: Key uses and benefits
Craftfoam is made from extruded polystyrene (Ravatherm XPS) and can be used as a modelling material for a variety of different applications.
Craftfoam can be used for:
- Model making
- Point of sale displays
- Greetings cards
- Cake stands
- Kids crafts
- Home crafts
- Product design prototypes
The material is commonly used for these applications due to the following benefits:
- Can be easily cut, sanded and planed
- Can be bonded to other materials using solvent free adhesives such as PVA
At Panel Systems, Craftfoam is supplied in:
- A range of sizes and thicknesses
- Grey, green or white colour
- Bespoke sizes
We’re able to cater to the needs of every project and our expert team can help to advise on your project from start to finish.
To learn more about what Craftfoam is and it’s benefits as a modelling material, please read our guide.