Combining lightweight design and exceptional strength, ThermHex Polypropylene Honeycomb Core for Sandwich Panels has become a go-to material for a wide range of applications and industries.
Panel Systems is the national distributor for ThermHex in the UK.
In this blog, we delve into the uses and advantages of ThermHex as a material, exploring how its strong but lightweight nature is revolutionising many different applications and driving sustainable solutions.
The Benefits of Using ThermHex Honeycomb Core for Sandwich Panels
ThermHex offers numerous benefits that make it a preferred choice in the production of lightweight sandwich panels. The benefits of ThermHex are as follows:
- Lightweight: ThermHex is incredibly lightweight, making it ideal for applications where weight reduction is crucial. Thanks to its honeycomb structure, ThermHex can save up to 85% of the weight when used in a panel compared to materials such as plywood.
- Strong: Despite its lightweight nature, ThermHex has great mechanical strength. The honeycomb structure provides outstanding load-bearing capacity and rigidity, allowing the material to withstand stress and strains whilst still maintaining its structural integrity.
- Resistant: ThermHex is resistant to chemicals and moisture. The polypropylene material used in ThermHex provides excellent resistance, making it suitable for applications in harsh environments or industries.
- Robust: ThermHex is made with a polypropylene barrier film, adding to its robustness.
- Sustainable: ThermHex is environmentally friendly and 100% recyclable. The manufacturing process also produces minimal waste.
These lightweight panels are ethically and sustainability sourced and can be bought from Panel Systems for the core of a sandwich panel.*
Why is ThermHex ideal for Sandwich Panels?
ThermHex is an innovative material commonly used in the production of lightweight sandwich panels. Made from polypropylene honeycomb, this material is manufactured in Germany using a patented process that ensures mechanical strength and stability. ThermHex sheets are finished with a polypropylene barrier film to prevent resin or adhesives from leaking into the open cells during processing.
This material has a PET non-woven finish that facilitates easy bonding of various types of facing materials using common adhesives.
*ThermHex cannot be bought from Panel Systems as a complete (ie finished) panel. It can be bought on its own in sheet form, or may be purchased as part of a lightweight sandwich panel. To discuss composite panel specifications that include ThermHex as the core material, contact our Architectural and Composite Panel Division by sending an email through to firstname.lastname@example.org.
What Are The Uses Of ThermHex Material?
ThermHex is primarily used as a core material in lightweight sandwich panels, but it can be finished in many ways to suit particular applications including:
- Laminating: ThermHex honeycomb cores can be laminated with different methods, such as hand lay-up with vacuum moulding, fibre resin spray-up, vacuum or light-rtm. Possible types of resin include polyurethane, polyester, epoxy or phenol.
- Spray up: For large components or lamination of ThermHex honeycomb cores, the fibre resin spray-up is suitable. This process involves the merging of the compounds (resin, reactant and reinforcing fibre) using a fibre-resin diffuser.
- Forming: ThermHex can be shaped with heat or at room temperature, applying pressure or vacuum, particularly if the honeycomb core has a small thickness ranging from 3.5mm to 10mm.
- Cutting: This can be done by using circular knife, waterjet cutting, laser cutting or CNC machining.
- Edge Closure: Different edge closures are possible depending on the procedure, usage and pressure on the finished sheet.
When used in a complete panel, ThermHex is suitable for a wide range of applications such as wall panelling, swimming pools, floating floors, truck bodies, marine and much more. It is available in the standard sheet size of 2500mm x 1200mm, but can be cut to bespoke sheet sizes up to 7500mm long.